OK, I have to admit that I have never cooked with rhubarb before. On my last trip to Whole Foods, the rhubarb looked so gorgeous and bright, I just had to grab three big stalks. I had seen recipes where it was cooked with strawberries before, so I grabbed a couple baskets of them and challenged myself to making some kind of healthy version of a rhubarb “crumble” dish.
I have never even made an “unhealthy” dish with these ingredients, so this was literally created “from the hip”, as much it gets. Most everything I Googled sounded completely calorie, sugar and butter-laden so I tried to use my imagination with what recipes were available. I still used sugar, but reduced it significantly. Next time I make it, I think I can get away with even less sugar or no sugar at all. I am also not a sugar fan or have much of a sweet tooth either. I was excited it turned out so good – the final product was really yummy!
- 3 large stalks of rhubarb (aprox 1 lb), trimmed and cut in 1/2
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose wheat flour or other “healthier” flour
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 all wheat flour or other healthier “flour”
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of organic butter
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (or Canola oil, but its less healthy in my opinion)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make Filling: Toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and flour in a bowl.
- Transfer over to 6 individual (4 for larger ones) ramekins, or you can make it all in one rectangular baking dish or pie dish.
- Press filling into the ramekins/baking dish to form an even layer.
- Make Crumble Topping: Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in bowl. Work ingredients together with a fork until crumbly. Stir in applesauce until the mixture is moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit in the ramekins.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping crispy and golden. (Aprox 40 – 45 minutes but watch closely)
- Per serving: Approx 250 calories, 5 grams of fat, 57 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams protein, 4 mg sodium