This is a super healthy, slow cooker version of curried chickpeas made from scratch with the dry beans. Curried chickpeas is one of my favorite snack foods on the planet! I call this recipe “Indian Comfort Food”. Cook up a big batch of this and then store in your fridge for a fast quick snack or meal on the go. Tastes awesome topped with chopped cilantro and red onions, or cooled with an organic Greek yogurt or healthy cashew cream. Some people love these served as the main protein in a Middle Eastern wrap dish.
I have been on quite the Indian food kick lately. That’s a good thing because Indian food has a flavor profile filled with lots of yummy spices and aromatics which are packed with nutrition, cancer and disease fighting properties. With a slow cooker you just take the dried beans or peas, throw in the additional ingredients, set the heat and timer, and your done. Couldn’t be easier!
- 1 1/2 cups of dried chickpeas
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tomato (optional) diced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 3 green chilies (serrano, habanero, or cayenne) stems removed chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds ground
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 cups of water
- a couple tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- low fat or non fat plain organic Greek yogurt or cashew cream
- lime wedges for garnish
- Put the chickpeas, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilies, spices and water into the slow cooker (I use a 3 1/2 quart cooker, but you can use are larger one if you like)
- You have two cooking options: Cook on “High” for the first 6 hours, stir, and then on “Low” until the beans are cooked to your desired tenderness. Or you can cook it on “Low” for 12 hours or until the beans are to your desired tenderness.
- To serve, add the chopped cilantro and stir in a little Greek Yogurt or stir in some cashew cream to give the beans an added delicious little creaminess.
Serve and enjoy! Keep a container for easy snacking in the fridge. These are so yummy, I know you will love this recipe.