Quinoa pasta is made with a combination of quinoa, a grain from the “Incan time” which is rich in protein, and corn flour instead of wheat. The pay off is that its gluten free, and in my opinion tastes just as good as regular pasta.
In this particular dish, I cranked up the nutrition and flavor with lots of veggies and fresh herbs I picked up at the Farmer’s Market this past weekend and then tossed the pasta together while it’s warm, saturating the pasta with all the yummy flavors. The result is a fun pasta dish with major flavor; a gorgeous, colorful appearance with nice texture, high flavor, and high nutrition. I make this sometimes in large batches ahead of time and keep in the fridge since it reheats well, and is a nice make-ahead, healthy snack to have on hand.
- 1 8 ounce package gluten free quinoa spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 12 ounce containers of yellow, red or multicolor cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1 8 to 12 ounce package of baby spinach
- 3 – 4 cups (approx) of Rainbow Swiss Chard, ribs removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped or dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped or dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh or dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Addtional: 6 tablespoons of finely grated or shredded Parmesan
- Optional: 2 pieces of low fat organic uncured turkey bacon, chopped
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite , stirring occasionally to make sure pasta does not stick together during the cooking process.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix the cherry tomatoes in a bowl with a dash of olive oil, and a pinch of the herbs
- Oil cookie sheet with olive oil and spread tomatoes out evenly over the pan
- Place in oven and set timer for 12 to 15 minutes; cook until the tomatoes have just softened, and remove
- In a large heavy skillet heat oil over medium heat, add the red onions, garlic and some fresh salt and pepper. If you’re using the turkey bacon you can add this now too.
- After a minute or two add pinch each of the each of the herbs. Continue to stir and infuse all the flavors together for about 30 seconds.
- Add the 1/4 cup pasta liquid and stir, scraping up browned bits
- Add about 1/2 cup of the roasted tomatoes (leave the rest for later), and the Spinach and Swiss Chard in small batches until just barely wilted and warmed
- Add in 2 tbsps of the cheese and the remainder of the herbs, and crushed red pepper
- Turn the heat off or down to warm
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss with tongs quickly until the spinach, the Swiss Chard and all the prior ingredients are evenly mixed through
- Transfer to larger family style serving bowl or dish and add tomatoes to the top of the final dish
- Sprinkle with the remaining part of the cheese and serve family style; along with additional cheese
Serving Info: Serves 4, 375 Calories per serving, 13 grams of “good fat, and 7 grams of fiber