I adapted this fast, easy frittata from this blog “My Kitchen Addiction”, and the Bacon, Leek and Arugula frittata. You can do this two ways, with bacon or without, I prefer with bacon. I love how the tomatoes make it look like a little pizza. You can replace the arugula with spinach if you like. I roasted some cherry tomatoes to top it off and give it some extra color, flavor and nutrition. I thought it looked kind of boring without the tomatoes on top to give it some color.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 slices uncured bacon chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (red would work too)
- 2 cups arugula (remove stems) or spinach
- 3 whole eggs plus 3 extra egg whites
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup feta cheese cheese (its up to you)
- a basket pint) of roasted cherry tomatoes (red or yellow… your choice)
- Optional : a tablespoon of milk or cream
- Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
- For optional “Roasted Cherry Tomatoes”: roast cherry tomatoes, halved, tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so until soft and wrinkly, shaking to turn halfway, remove from oven and set aside
- Turn on broiler
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, set aside
- Heat ovenproof non stick skillet to medium and saute bacon pieces until cooked * For vegetarian skip this and just heat olive oil to medium high
- Add the onions to the olive oil or rendered bacon fat until soft
- Add the arugula (or spinach) until it wilts down
- reduce heat to medium low, pour in eggs, and quickly stir with the bacon, onions and greens
- Sprinkle with the feta and then cover for about 5 minutes
- remove the lid and arrange the roasted tomatoes on top, place under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until the eggs set and are no longer runny.
Serve and Enjoy!
Serving suggestions: I topped this with chopped avocado, olives and sour cream for my boyfriend who doesn’t care about calories. Its healthy that way and tastes really good.