I’ve been tooling around with this recipe for awhile. I wanted a healthy version of Chicken Tikka Masala, to put together in the slow cooker with all the depth and flavor of the traditional Chicken Tikka Masala. No small feat, and this following recipe was only the result after a lot of trial and error. Lots of error. And I’ll be honest up front. Although this is a “Slow Cooker” recipe, there is prep work, with an overnight marinade, and then some additional cooking steps required before putting it all into the “slow cooker” to finish it off. The result is really awesome, but its not a “5 minute investment of your time” meal. There is a bit of planning involved here, but worth the effort. I will be working on trying to create a simple and quicker version of this recipe, but this was the best I could come up with so far that satisfied my palate. Additionally, I added the extra step of quick “broiling” the chicken after the marinade, to add some extra depth of flavor to it before putting it in the slow cooker with the marinade. You can skip this step if you like.
If you make this recipe an make any adjustments or changes, by all means let me know and I can post it in the comments section. Thanks you guys!
Ingredients for Chicken and Marinade:
- 2 cups non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 inch peeled fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (adjust for your own personal likes on the “heat” factor”)
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons of either white or black pepper
- 2 to 3 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts quartered (you can use thighs as well, but I prefer breasts)
Directions for Marinade:
- Combine all the ingredients together, then add chicken until all pieces are coated
- Cover and let it marinade for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. I marinated this batch for 24 hours
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, ghee or neutral cooking oil.
- 2 medium onions peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 inch of ginger peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of coriander
- 14.5 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup of organic cream or light coconut milk, and chopped cilantro to add in at the end
Directions for Masala and cooking chicken
- On stove take large sauce pan and saute the onions and garlic until soft over medium heat
- Add ginger and tomatoes, stir for aprox a minute
- Add cumin, coriander, garam masala and tomato paste and stir until heated through
- Add mixture to slow cooker
- (Optional: Broil Chicken without marinade at HIGH in oven until browned or brown over stove in skillet. for the additional browning step, BE SURE to remove the marinade from the chicken first.)
- With slotted spoon or tongs, add the chicken to the slow cooker. ***For a thinner base (my preference) add the remaining marinade, for thicker base, discard marinade.
- Cook on “high” for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is cooked all the way through. You can adjust the heat if the chicken looks like its become to cooked, and turn it down to “low” halfway in between.
- Add optional cream or coconut milk, and cilantro
- Serve and Enjoy