I love healthy smoothies. and I’ve been tooling around for years coming up with all different flavors and ingredients. I thought I would share my new favorite.
My two favorite thickeners are coconut “cubes” (just coconut milk frozen in an ice cube tray) and frozen banana slices. I also like to have the following items in my freezer at all times, frozen pureed fruit, almond milk, coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato purees, and wine (yes I even freeze leftover wine to make cubes for sautes).
The frozen coconut cubes and the bananas both give a really creamy depth that can make almost any smoothie taste like a “real” shake made with ice cream. When I am craving something sweet like soft serve ice cream I pop a bunch of frozen and unfrozen banana slices with cinnamon and nutmeg into the high speed blender to make a bowl of creamy goodness, which you would swear is made with real cream.
So imagine my “I can’t believe I didn’t think of this” moment a couple of weeks ago when “The Diva Dish” blogger posted a recipe for a “Coconut Vanilla Chai Milkshake” , containing lots of ingredients I usually use in smoothies. I embedded the link to “The Diva Dish” recipe as well, but posted my own version with a few alterations here. Thanks Diva!
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (regular or low calorie… I used low calorie)
- 1 frozen banana
- 6 coconut milk ices cubes
- 1 tsp ginger (fresh or powdered)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp allspice or pumpkin pie spice
Optional Add Ins or Exchanges:
- For a much richer and creamier shake use 1 cup coconut milk instead of almond milk
- For a healthier drink with protein add in 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder. I use Tera’s Whey from Whole Foods
- For more Omega 3’s and antioxidants 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds or White Chia Seeds
- To make a little sweeter add some liquid stevia, powdered stevia or certified organic agave nectar
- Reduce coconut/almond milk or add more bananas for a thicker shake, or add more coconut/almond milk for a less thick shake
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or Vita Mix until creamy. Sprinkle with Cinnamon and Enjoy